Momentum Wrap – Refiners Shine Again
- Posted by Ivanhoff
- on January 29th, 2013
70 new all-time highs among stocks that gained 1% or more today: CP PSX TUP GGG DK MPC HFC JJSF CZZ STZ
163 stocks reached new 52-week highs while appreciating 1%+. Some of the notable movers include:
- Refiners followed up on yesterday’s strong session after impressive earnings from Valero ($VLO). Strength begets more strength. More than 10 breakouts to new multi-year highs: $HFC $TSO $MUR $DK $ALJ etc.
- Healthcare is still a leading sector. Big pharma ($LLY $PFE $JNJ) are breaking out. Other defensive assets (utilities) are also outperforming the general market. A sign of caution or just another sector rotation within a bull market. History suggest the former.
- Southeast Asia is the new China. Capital is flowing where cost of manufacturing is cheaper and market is discounting it by bidding up local markets. New 52wk highs for Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines – $THD $VNM $EPHE
- Also strong: building materials – $CX $TREX $MLM , railroads – $CP $ARII, property insurers – $SIGI $RNR
StockTwits 50 Notables
- The deterioration in the momentum universe continues. Another 8 St50 stocks dropped 2% or more today: $RAX $N $CVLT $MDVN $GNMK $SWI $NXPI $KLIC
- $FHCO keeps climbing higher on above its average volume
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus